Congratulations to Jose and Andrea on their 2nd place finish at World War Fit!
Want to know what it's like to compete? Get inside the mind of a competitor! Here's Andrea's recap of the journey and competition day!
August 20th, 6:18am and there we were. The Thursday before I had gotten nervous because I was afraid that the other 6 teams would be Rx athletes that would do scaled division to win. I wouldn't stand a chance. Jose had said he didn't want to finish last. I had 3 goals going in, 1) don't get hurt, 2) give it my all and 3) have fun! Seeing the venue empty got me excited! My dad called me to the side before we went down for the first WOD and said a prayer for me.
- Mt biggest fear: I couldn't reach the bar! Even with the plates! Jose had to carry me up and that took more time.
- We did the 30 synchronized front squats unbroken! Something we hadn't accomplished in practice ever.
- It all happened so fast and I was enjoying myself that I didn't even see the other teams! Who were they? I had no idea.
WOD 2: 3 hours laters!
- My favorite WOD and I was pumped.
- Weakness was doing the deadlifts fast.
- Hoping Jose's back wouldn't tighten up like it had during practice.
- My strength: step ups!
- My sprint to the finish was in turbo! I didn't want the guy next to me to beat me. They finished 3:04 and in 2nd place and we finished 3:05 and in 3rd place. 1 second!
WOD 3: I hate it.
- My weakness: lifting, specifically snatches.
- I didn't want to let Jose down and I didn't want him doing all the work simply because I couldn't do it.
- Jose had helped me practice the snatches a million times. I bought a PVC pipe and practiced at home. I had to get these down!
- We stuck with our strategy and Jose picked up the slack where I struggled (the snatches) and I picked up extra reps (thrusters and hand release push ups) to give Jose more rest and recovery time.
- It felt so much easier than during the practices! It went by fast!
Top 5 WOD: 3 Rounds - 10 synchronized overhead squats and 5 pull ups worth double points
- We weren't sure if we would make it but we did!
- We had no idea what the final WOD would be but just hoped it was something we could do.
- We had about 3 mins from the time they announced the WOD to when we had to start! We had to think on the spot!
- Jose and I are both great at squats! Pull ups were definitely going to be Jose's job!
- We were the first ones done with the squats and onto the bar for the pull ups and we kept that lead until we finished 1st place!
- That was the upmost exciting experience!
We won second place in the scaled co-Es division!
15 min to complete
3 sets of 3 Back Squat (% based off 5rm)
Set 1: 70%
Set 2: 80%
Set 3: 90% 5+ (go for a max set. Must do 5 minimum, anything beyond that is bonus strength!)B. (can work on part B during back squat or after)
Strict TTB (30X3); 1,1,1,1,1
Box HSPU 30X3; 5,4,3,2,1
10 min AMRAP
15 Goblet Squats 53/35
5 ctb pull ups
2 min couch stretch R/L
1 min box shoulder stretch